Election of Council Officers will be held annually in March.
- The Chair will be elected in odd years
- The Vice Chair and Secretary will be elected in even years.
Elected officers will serve a 2-year term starting in Mid-May (generally concurrent with the FNPS Annual Meeting).
The Council Chair will appoint at least three Chapter Representatives or other FNPS members in good standing to a nominating committee, whose duty shall be to propose a slate of candidates.
The nominating committee will propose at least one, but preferably more than one candidate for each office. No member of the nominating committee may be nominated for an office. No person may be nominated without that person’s consent.
Nominating and Elections Schedule
The following schedule will be adhered to for Officer nominations and elections:
- November – Appoint nominating committee.
- January – Nominating committee solicits candidates at full Council meeting and sends email to Chapter Representatives and Chapter Presidents to solicit additional candidates and invite self-nomination [see Nomination Request Email Templateon Council of Chapters website/Templates].
- February 8 – Nominations close.
- February 15 – Deadline for submittal to Sabal Minor (for March 1 issue) for publication of all nominees and a brief summary of the Council election process [see Election Notice Template on Council of Chapters website/Templates].
- March 1 – Publish nominees and election process on the Council website. Email nominee and election process information to all Council members [see Election Notice Template on Council of Chapters website/Templates].
- March 15 – Open voting [see Voting Open Email Template on Council of Chapters website/Templates].
- March 30 – Close voting.
- April 8 – Announce voting results by email to the FNPS Board, Chapter Presidents, and Chapter Representatives.
- Mid-April to Mid-May – Officer-elect orientation and training.
- Mid-May (concurrent with Annual Meeting) – New officers take office.
Voting for Council officers will be conducted online using the FNPS Forum.
A separate vote will be taken for each Office (Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary). The online ballot will list all candidates for a particular office (unopposed candidates will be listed as the only choice) with voters only permitted to vote for one candidate.
The highest number of votes from the Chapter Representatives who cast votes will determine the election winner; a tie for highest vote requires a runoff vote. An unopposed candidate will be elected regardless of the number of votes cast.
Vacancies in Council Officers will be filled by appointment by the remaining Officer(s) or through an interim online election for the vacant office, conducted in compliance with regular voting guidelines.